Thursday 9 October 2014

Animation research for old lady



I've been told to do research on movement since I'm an animator.
This is reference for Emma's old lady character.

To start myself off, I found a youtube video of an old couple walking and examined the walk style of the old woman.

I found that the movement is very minimal, the foot seems to almost slide because its not lifted very high. The cane also serves as supporting most of her weight and is firmly planted. At 0:06, the cane appears to be more slanted than her left leg - if the cane had slanted a bit more, she would've slipped. The walk as a whole feels quite delicate, it seems like any wrong movement could cause a fall. She seems to hobble as her feet take turns supporting her weight.

I drew some sketches to help me and focused primarily on the feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment